Who We Are
Johns Manville is a leading manufacturer and marketer of premium-quality insulation and commercial roofing, along with glass fibers and nonwovens for commercial, industrial and residential applications. Our products are used in a wide variety of industries including building products, aerospace, automotive and transportation, filtration, commercial interiors, waterproofing and wind energy.
A proud member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies, we serve customers in more than 80 countries around the globe. We are committed to delivering positive and powerful experiences, because we are successful only when our employees and customers thrive. We are passionate, we care about people, we perform at a superior level, and we protect others and our environments.
Summary: Under direct supervision of the Production Supervisor and general supervision of the Production Manager, responsible for performing all duties on a professional level. Operates industrial equipment to move a wide range of products through the production line. Working from general verbal and written instructions and according to established operating procedures, performs the following duties while cooperating with all levels within the organization in support of the four Johns Manville core values: People, Passion, Performance and Protection.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:(Other duties may be assigned.)
- Uses safe work practices including the use of eye, ear, hand, respiratory, and foot protection as needed.
- Keeps equipment and work areas clean and orderly at all times by following the principles of 5S.
- Works in a professional manner with all employees.
- Shows initiative in supporting safety, plant-wide. Participates on committees as required.
- Prepares, removes, packs, scraps or otherwise disposes of, all material coming from the machine.
- Observes material coming off machine for all types of visual and physical defects.
- Sets aside defective material for disposition by others.
- Records required data on prescribed report form.
- Notifies Machine Chief or Supervisor regarding production of questionable quality material.
- Checks lengths of rolls or batts and other quality control checks as required, graphing results when required.
- May assist in taking product samples for quality checks.
- Conducts safety inspections on all machines. Checks safety devices, e-stops, tools, and supplies; keeps a checklist.
- Periodically performs machine maintenance to meet production needs.
- Follows the Lean Production method using Procedures and Guidelines.
- Trains and learns different aspects of different positions as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma, or equivalent.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work in team-based environment.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and handle multiple priorities and projects.
JOB MEASUREMENTS: Effective interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work in team based environment, flexibility, the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment in a safe manor, demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities during the course of the day.
The responsibilities for this job are performed on the production plant floor. Conditions are often hot, with temperatures ranging from 70-115 degrees. The environment may be dirty from oils/grease, and may be noisy from the machinery. Required personal protective equipment must be worn at all times.
EQUIPMENT: (i.e. Machines, Devices, Tools, Etc., used in job performance)
- Forklift and other material handling equipment
- Measurement devices for product quality, temperature control recording instruments, fabricating and facing equipment
- Use of some hand tools
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: (i.e. What the job requires – standing, setting, lifting, etc.)
Note: The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by and employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time on cement floors
- Must be able to walk, stoop, kneel and climb ladders and staircases.
- Must be able to lift up to 50lbs regularly, and up to 90 as required
For a complete list of physical demands required see Human Resource Department
Please Keep in Mind
If you do not meet 100% of these requirements, we at JM want to hear from you. So, if you are interested in the role, we encourage you to apply so we can learn how your skills and talents can contribute to our team.
Johns Manville (JM) offers a wide range of benefits to employees. Some are subsidized by the company and others are fully employee-paid. Health benefits include a choice of comprehensive medical plans, a dental plan, vision plan, wellness program and critical illness insurance. JM sponsors a 401(k) plan which includes a sizeable company match. JM offers paid vacation and also provides paid sick and parental leave for eligible employees.
Additionally, Johns Manville provides basic life Insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an employee assistance program, and business travel accident coverage. Supplemental life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment insurance are available as well. The company also offers a variety of tax saving accounts; health spending account, traditional flexible spending account, and a dependent care spending account. JM also offers a tuition reimbursement program for undergraduate and certain graduate programs.
Diversity & Inclusion
Johns Manville believes diversity and inclusion in our workplace is critical for the long-term success of our company. We are committed to retaining, developing and attracting a diverse workforce that fosters an inclusive work environment in which all employees are treated with dignity and respect. This is the right thing to do for our employees, our company and our communities. Our D&I council is composed of employees from locations across North American & Europe who meet regularly and work to promote and foster an environment of inclusion. Born from our D&I council is our network of employee resource groups (ERGs) that are focused on supporting diverse communities in the workplace. Review more about our diversity & inclusion initiatives on JM’s Career page.
Incumbent must be physically able to perform essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.