Montessori Paraeducator - Districtwide, 2023-2034 SY Talent Pool (N594-2324)
Hartford Public Schools is offering a $1,250 signing incentive for full-time, newly hired paraeducators for the 2023-24 school year.
POSTING NUMBER: N594-2324
POSITION: Montessori Paraeducator
REPORTS TO: Principal
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS: Provide various forms of instructional assistance and support to the Montessori teachers.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist students, under the direction of the teacher, with follow up to Montessori lessons, listening to oral reading, storytelling or reading to class, doing reference research assignments.
- Supervise large group work to enable teachers to work with smaller or groups or individuals.
- Assist in field trips and recess supervision of children.
- Assist in producing, collecting, inventorying, and storing instructional materials.
- Assist in accounting for money to be collected for field trips, etc.
- Assist in maintaining school attendance records.
- Procure, set up, operate and return instructional equipment.
- Organize and supervise student work areas, preparation of the Montessori environment daily.
- Assist in preparing bulletin boards and exhibits.
- Correct objective tests and assignments.
- Maintain order in the classroom and establish a quiet learning environment; notify the classroom teacher in such cases where behavior and/or other problems arise beyond Paraeducator’s control.
- Assist in toileting of children as needed in accordance with health and safety standards and procedures.
- Work with children individually and in small groups to reinforce basic skills and to check their use of Montessori materials.
- Assist in the development and construction of Montessori materials to be used in reinforcement activities.
- Share in the maintenance of the classroom.
- Attend all in-service training/staff meetings offered by the department.
- Perform other related duties as necessary.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of Associates Degree or High School Diploma and passing score on Para Pro Exam (Exam Link https://www.ets.org/parapro.html)
- AMI Montessori Assistant Training completion, or AMI Montessori teacher training enrollment.
- Experience in classroom management from a Montessori perspective and coverage.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills desirable.
- Patience and understanding of children with Special needs.
- Must maintain confidentially at all times.
- Ability to handle stressful situations.
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Ten-month work year. Salary Grid in accordance with HFP Contract. $23,876 to $43,630 per year
UNION AFFILIATION: Hartford Federation of Paraeducators (HFP)
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: To be considered, all internal and external applicants must fully complete a Hartford Public Schools’ online application, which can be accessed on the Careers page of the district website, https://www.hartfordschools.org/careers/careers/ or through our Applicant Tracking System, Nimble, at https://app.hirenimble.com/jobs/hartford. Candidates’ application and supporting documents will be reviewed. Candidates who advance through the initial review will be notified and placed in the pool for consideration by hiring managers. Candidates will be contacted directly by hiring managers for interviews.
Hartford Public Schools (Hartford, Connecticut) isa diverse community of educators and approximately 16,000 students attending 39 distinctive magnet, community, and neighborhood schools, located in the capital city of Connecticut. We are committed to being a leader in innovative urban education, cultivating equity and excellence for all of our students, closing the opportunity gap, and preparing students for college and life.
Hartford Public Schools acknowledges that systems of injustice exist in our nation and our community. Our district is committed to addressing systemic barriers to create a culture of equity that benefits all students. We are committed to recruiting, developing, and retaining a diverse team of culturally competent educators. We strive to have our team reflect the different perspectives of our families and community so that we can work together to overcome obstacles, close the opportunity gaps, and prepare our students for continuous success.
HPS recruits and selects diverse educators, who are committed to our instructional vision to develop students’ individual, academic, social, and emotional capacities and growth within the classroom and beyond. Highly talented and qualified candidates with a passion for urban education, a commitment to our Hartford students, families, and community are strongly encouraged to apply immediately!
Why Should You Choose Hartford Public Schools?
Hartford Public Schools is seeking excellent candidates and wants to provide the best experience for you. We have put together a comprehensive package of benefits and incentives, including:
- Competitive salary
- Sign-On incentives
- Career growth opportunities
- Opportunity to participate in school governance councils
- Loan forgiveness
- Tuition reimbursement
- Rich health care plan (including dental & vision)
- Life insurance
DIVERSITY AMONG US:
Hartford Public Schools is a diverse community of scholars and staff; racially, socioeconomically, culturally, and more. Among our approximately 16,000 students, there are 88 languages spoken; 22% of our student population are English Learners. Over 85% of the population are students of color. At Hartford Public Schools, we work deliberately to recruit and hire staff of various backgrounds. Currently, our staff identify as:
- American Indian: 0.09%
- Asian: 2.02%
- Black: 24.07%
- White: 46.26%
- Hispanic: 24.24%
- Other: 1.11%
- Not Reported/Unknown: 2.22%
The state of Connecticut is seated on the northeastern seaboard. Hartford is within an hour’s drive of the coastline and is centrally located between New York City and Boston. Hartford is one of America’s oldest and most historic cities, made up of 17 unique neighborhoods rich in history and diversity. It is commonly known as the “insurance capital” due to its prominence beginning in the 19th century as home to many of the most prestigious insurance companies in the U.S., many of which still call Hartford home today. The city features world-class museums, entertainment, and sports venues and is home to several major companies. An array of restaurants reflecting cuisines from all over the world attract people from far and wide, and more than 200 arts, heritage, and cultural organizations in the Hartford region provide hundreds of events year-round. In addition, several universities and colleges are in Hartford and the surrounding towns, allowing easy access to advanced degree programs.
An Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/V/D
Note: This posting does not necessarily reflect vacancies in the respective subject area and is solely intended to generate a talent pool for current and future certified teaching opportunities. The above description covers the principle duties and responsibilities of the position. The description should not, however, be construed as a complete listing of all duties or as a contract. In all cases, these relationships, functions, and their applications are subject to change by the superintendent of schools.