Maintenance Technician 3
Who We Are
Johns Manville is a leading manufacturer and marketer of premium-quality insulation and commercial roofing, along with glass fibers and nonwovens for commercial, industrial and residential applications. Our products are used in a wide variety of industries including building products, aerospace, automotive and transportation, filtration, commercial interiors, waterproofing and wind energy.
A proud member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies, we serve customers in more than 80 countries around the globe. We are committed to delivering positive and powerful experiences, because we are successful only when our employees and customers thrive. We are passionate, we care about people, we perform at a superior level, and we protect others and our environments.
This position is responsible for communicating and supporting JM core values and delivering the JM experience.
The purpose of the Maintenance Technician’s role is to perform routine and non-routine maintenance on production and facility equipment to support production of roofing materials. This position is also responsible for meeting facility targets for safety, productivity, and machine uptime. This role will conduct effective problem solving and troubleshoot processes to develop corrective actions.
Hourly Rate: $34.36
Hours: This position is 2nd shift: 3:00pm- 11:00pm M-F & every other weekend
- Follow all Johns Manville safety and environmental procedures and policies.
- Attend plant safety and training meetings as scheduled.
- Follow Job Safety Analysis (JSA's), uses safe work practices, and reports hazardous conditions at all times. Wear protective clothing & equipment as required.
- Develop JSA’s for new tasks and review JSA’s annually.
- Demonstrate ability to train coworkers about various systems in the plant.
- Perform routine and non-routine maintenance activities of mechanical and electrical systems.
- Develop and modify preventive maintenance plans for new and modified equipment.
- Display advanced working knowledge of electrical (single phase and 3 phase), of plant power distribution systems, mechanical, hydraulics, and pneumatics systems.
- Install and repair electrical conduit and cable, including connections, controls, grounding, etc.
- Work from electrical and mechanical schematics to troubleshoot or install new or modify existing equipment.
- Perform voltmeter, ammeter, wattmeter, and other electrical measurements.
- Inspect equipment and reports on defective part and unsatisfactory conditions to further preventative maintenance program. Provide solutions to improve the efficiency of the equipment.
- Maintain, adjust, service and lubricate equipment keeping it in good operating conditions with respect to proper aligning, functioning and lubrication of parts.
- Participate in continuous improvement and Root Cause Corrective Action (RCCA) teams.
- Assist co-workers as directed.
- Perform and complete other work as assigned by supervisor.
- Provides feedback and solutions to leadership on critical equipment issues pertaining to safety or operational capabilities
- Display flexible outlook toward change management, working on cross-functional teams, training for the use of new tools and methodologies, and willingness and ability to obtain operating knowledge of all production equipment.
- Participate in daily housekeeping efforts. Ensure job site is consistently clean after every job and clean maintenance shop after every shift.
What You Bring to the Team
- Must be signed off on all Maintenance Technician II job qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 4-7 years multi-craft maintenance experience
- Strong commitment to safety
- Ability to work well with others
- Strong problem-solving capabilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Intermediate computer skills
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and handle multiple priorities and projects
- Ability to disassemble, diagnose, repair, and perform preventative repair measures on mechanical equipment including, but not limited to: pumps, gearboxes, reducers, couplings, seals, rotating elements, blowers, fans, hydraulic units, valves, chillers, and compressors
- Demonstrate advanced Mechanical aptitude, including pipe fitting, fabricating
- Knowledge of use of hand tools and power tools
- Knowledge of shop machinery, including hydraulic press, mill & drill press, lathe, and saw(s) (band & Chop)
- Intermediate knowledge of building lighting systems
- Intermediate knowledge of AC/heating systems
- Intermediate knowledge of building fire alarm systems
- Advanced knowledge of Lock, Tag, Clear, and Try program
- Intermediate knowledge of PLC troubleshooting
- Intermediate knowledge of VFD troubleshooting
- Display advanced understanding of 480V system to include arc-flash training and safe working practices per NFPA 70E
- Ability to provide troubleshooting and diagnosis on process heating and cooling equipment
- Ability to consistently make appropriate decisions while being flexible with regard to work assignments and priorities.
- Local travel for training purposes
The physical requirements of this position are: (these requirements are typical for most of our manufacturing roles)
- The ability to stand for extended periods
- The ability to manually lift, push or pull at least 50 pounds safely and with proper body mechanics, sometimes while in awkward positions.
- Use of hands (repetitive motion, grabbing, feeling, sensing, pulling)
- The ability to work safely in a fast-paced, sometimes stressful work environment
- The ability to safely and effectively work in an often-dusty work environment that experiences a broad range of temperatures (very hot to very cold).
- The ability to bend, stoop or kneel repetitively.
- The ability to reach or work above the shoulder
Incumbent must be physically able to perform essential job functions. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
With Johns Manville you can take pride in helping our team to deliver products that make a difference in the markets that we serve. You’ll have the benefit of a supportive environment with good people who care, plus the opportunity for continued growth in your career. Johns Manville brings stability and a space for innovative thinking. Bring your purpose and desire to grow and in return you’ll receive competitive pay, annual merit increases, a generous 401k match, paid holidays and vacation, education reimbursement and comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans.
Why Johns Manville
Johns Manville is a proud member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies, serving customers in more than 80 countries, supplying innovative products to the construction, aerospace, automotive, filtration and energy industries. With a more than 160-year legacy, we understand that our story continues to grow only with the right people saying, thinking and doing the right things. Make your story our story.
Learn more at www.jm.com/careers and on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
Hear Our Employee Stories
See what our employees have to say about working at Johns Manville here.
Johns Manville is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Please Keep in Mind
If you do not meet 100% of these requirements, we at JM want to hear from you. So, if you are interested in the role, we encourage you to apply so we can learn how your skills and talents can contribute to our team.
Johns Manville (JM) offers a wide range of benefits to employees. Some are subsidized by the company and others are fully employee-paid. Health benefits include a choice of comprehensive medical plans, a dental plan, vision plan, wellness program and critical illness insurance. JM sponsors a 401(k) plan which includes a sizeable company match. JM offers paid vacation and also provides paid sick and parental leave for eligible employees.
Additionally, Johns Manville provides basic life Insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an employee assistance program, and business travel accident coverage. Supplemental life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment insurance are available as well. The company also offers a variety of tax saving accounts; health spending account, traditional flexible spending account, and a dependent care spending account. JM also offers a tuition reimbursement program for undergraduate and certain graduate programs.
Diversity & Inclusion
Johns Manville believes diversity and inclusion in our workplace is critical for the long-term success of our company. We are committed to retaining, developing and attracting a diverse workforce that fosters an inclusive work environment in which all employees are treated with dignity and respect. This is the right thing to do for our employees, our company and our communities. Our D&I council is composed of employees from locations across North American & Europe who meet regularly and work to promote and foster an environment of inclusion. Born from our D&I council is our network of employee resource groups (ERGs) that are focused on supporting diverse communities in the workplace. Review more about our diversity & inclusion initiatives on JM’s Career page.
Incumbent must be physically able to perform essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.